Ignore the policy wording at your own peril.

I am an insurance nerd. I admit it.  My previous career was as a Property and Casualty Insurance Adjuster.  I reviewed a lot of policies and case law.  Tennessee law is quite clear when it comes to interpreting contractual insurance policy language.  Tennessee law will enforce it.  Very few policies have wording that's truly hard to understand.  So, the words on the page are pretty easy to figure out.

In this recent case, the homeowner had moved out of the house and allowed someone else to move in.  IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.  The problem is that you have to make sure the insurer is aware and then something bad happens, like a fire.  The same goes for unoccupied residences, which often comes up in Probate cases.  Ignore the policy wording at your own peril!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shh! Don't talk about Fight Club!

My advisor helped me leave my estate to my cat.

Do's and Don'ts of Estate Planning