When a client passes away.


When a client passes.

As an Estate Planner, you plan for a client to pass away.  You do your best to help them “leave a legacy of peace and not a legacy of chaos”.  You help them create “The Plan”.

Even though the topic of death is discussed every day in my office, it still has an impact on me when I get the call or email that:

“Mr. Jones died Friday.  I just wanted you to know.”

Their passage leaves a mark. 

As an attorney, hopefully, I spent enough time with the client to make sure their wishes were accurately reflected.

As a person, I may remember a laugh that we shared as we discussed their wishes.  I may remember what a delight (or tyrant) they were in our discussions.

As a person of faith, was their salvation secure? 

While the business of Estate Planning anticipates the passage of a client, I don’t know that as a person, you are ever fully prepared. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The words on the title matter

My advisor helped me leave my estate to my cat.

The shadow of expungement