Super Nerdy Long Term Care Coverage Thoughts


I know I'm a bit of an insurance nerd, but Long Term Care (LTC) insurance coverage simply fascinates me.  For many people, it's the bridge, in their final years, between health insurance (often Medicare) and life insurance.

There are many fascinating variations of LTC, but the ones that interests me the most are those that are participating in the LTC Partnership program (Qualified State Long Term Care Partnership Program).

What's that mean?  That means that the policy has met certain criteria, so that when the policyholder passes away AND Medicaid (in my case, Tenncare) has a recovery interest in their estate, then the estate gets credit, due to the LTC policy, to offset any recovery efforts by Medicaid. (This means there's a better chance of the kids getting granny's old house.)

What does this benefit the policyholder?

  1. They have more control over where they spend their final years, as opposed to having Medicaid dictate where they reside.
  2. And, their estate gets asset protection as a direct result of the type of policy they purchased.


I know it's insurance / law nerdy, but I still think it's pretty cool!  

Want more detailed information in general? Here's the link.  

Want to know who the Tennessee Participating companies are (this took me a while to find)? That link is here.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My advisor helped me leave my estate to my cat.

Shh! Don't talk about Fight Club!

Do's and Don'ts of Estate Planning